Monday, July 2, 2012

I can still see the day that you came to me on the painted desert


 You may have noticed that the name of this blog has changed.  The new name "the painted desert " is a reference from one of my favourite Dylan songs "Brownsville Girl".

Brownsville is an epic 11 minute Dylan masterpiece ( co authored with Sam Shepherd ) from the album "Knockedout Loaded" that begins and ends with a Gregory Peck movie and rambles across the western states like a tumble weed on pharmaceutical products.  If I ever get onto Desert Island Discs, ( why haven't I been invited? ) it will be there nestling in between Jerry Lee Lewis's "Crazy Arms" and "The Firebird Suite".

One good reason for taking it to the island is that like the similarly epic "Highlands" I very rarely get to listen to it uninterrupted. The song has a definite dream like quality to it, and is filmic in its imagery, so given a propensity to let my mind wander and the pressing nature of modern life, my concentration invariably lapses. I get to the last verse and, like waking up after an afternoon cinema nap, end up wondering who was Henry Porter and what was left in the French Quarter ?

Here is Dylan from yesterday.  Have a laugh before Sony Music take it down


Despite the name change the blog will continue to be a pot pourri of culture, politics and the inane ramblings of a semi hinged mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment